SAFARI - Feathered Dinos TOOB
The actual hypothesis that birds were descendants of dinosaurs was suggested as early as the mid-19th century by biologist Thomas Henry Huxley. However, without significant evidence, Huxley’s theory never gathered steam. It wasn’t until 1969 when John Ostrom found a theropod (a suborder of dinosaurs) which had a skeletal structure that was almost identical to modern birds. This caused a much more systematic search for fossils of feathered dinosaurs, which were eventually discovered in the mid 1990’s. Since then, it has become common knowledge amongst biologists and paleontologists that some dinosaurs were indeed feathers, and many current species of birds are their descendants.
- Recently, scientists have discovered that many dinosaurs were feathered! This Toob includes a feathered Psittacosaurus, Protoceratops, Pachycephalosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Apatosaurus, T-rex, Caudipteryx, Dilong, Beipiaosaurus, Microraptor, Velociraptor and Sinornithosaurus.
- Characteristics: Although scientists aren’t sure why dinosaurs evolved to have feathers, one thing that’s certain is that they were not capable of flight like modern day birds. While there are many theories, such as heat regulation and defense tactics, perhaps you will be the one to finally solve the riddle with careful study of these accurately hand painted and researched figurines!
- Size and Colour: One thing that’s true of feathers when compared to scales is the kinds of coloration feathers are capable of. Whether it’s the Caudipteryx’s with its beautiful fiery red and yellow feathers or the tawny Velociraptor, all 12 dinosaur figurines in this Toob range from 1.25 to 3.75 inches tall while the Toob itself measures 1.5 inches long, 1.5 inches wide, and 12.8 inches tall, about the size of a standard American ruler.
- The Feathered Dinos TOOB® is part of the TOOBS® collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free
- Recommended Age: 3+